Sun., Sept. 8, 5 p.m.
The Office of Admissions and the University Visitors Center are looking for Ambassadors/Tour Guides to represent GS and the nontraditional undergraduate degree program.
These positions offer current students the opportunity to meet prospective and incoming students and share their experiences and knowledge with them. Ambassadors/Tour Guides will lead prospective students and their guests on a tour of the historic Morningside campus, sharing personal insights and campus history.
Guides will work closely with the Office of Admissions to perform additional responsibilities, including telecounseling and answering prospective student questions on message boards.
Guides will represent their personal GS program, yet on occasion, guides from one group will be asked to give tours for other groups: for example, GS undergrads may give tours to prospective Postbac Premed students. Ample training will provided for all guides.
- Must be a GS student from the Undergraduate, Postbac Premed, or Dual BA program
- Must love GS and Columbia University and want to talk about it with prospective and admitted students and guests
- Must be customer-service oriented, articulate, and have good public speaking skills
- Must be conscientious, reliable, and team-oriented
- Good memorization skills necessary
- Interest in campus history and involvement in student life a plus
- Must be in good academic standing
Time Commitment and Scheduling
Training will begin the week of September 16th.
Ambassadors lead tours for prospective students throughout the year. Typically, Friday tours run from 1 to 2:30 p.m., while Wednesday tours run from 3:30 to 5 p.m. Occasional Thursday tours run from 4 to 5:30 p.m. The tour calendar varies based on the time of year.
- 3-4 hours/month
- Academic year commitment (September 2019-June 2020); longer commitment and summer availability welcomed
A comprehensive training is required for all new guides, including:
- Shadowing current tour guides on at least three tours
- Attending at least two information sessions with prospective students
- Giving at least one mock tour to GS Communications staff and current tour guides
Work-study or casual
To apply, fill out an application and send your resume to:
Manager, Community and University Visitor Relations
Associate Director of Admissions