New Student Orientation
Monday, August 30 - Sunday, September 5
The New Student Orientation Program is mandatory for all entering students. The week includes a series of events that provide an introduction to the stimulating intellectual and social environment at Columbia, as well as the abundant resources available at GS and the University. One of the primary goals of Orientation is to help students navigate the University environment and meet fellow incoming students.
The New Student Orientation Program is designed to:
- Familiarize students with University standards and principles of our academic community
- Help students navigate and identify available resources
- Present tips and key information that will make students' first days at Columbia, and their transition to GS, go smoothly
- Introduce students to advisors and resources critical to personal and academic success at Columbia
- Provide the opportunity to meet other new and continuing GS students, many of whom will become part of a network of support at Columbia
- Acquaint students with GS traditions within the context of University history
- Provide students with the opportunity to meet peers in Barnard College, Columbia College, and Columbia Engineering
- Share a portrait of the incoming class in all its diversity and richness as new students are welcomed into the vibrant GS community
For questions regarding Orientation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall 2021 Orientation Event Details
GS Orientation will be disseminated through a combination of modalities (based on the University’s forthcoming decisions regarding the modality of the Fall 2021 semester:)
- Independently reviewed materials available through CourseWorks, our University learning system. These materials include pre-recorded presentations, resource handouts, and worksheets.
- Interactive workshops, panels, meet & greets, and socials.
- Over the coming months, Columbia University and the School of General Studies will monitor our public health circumstances and assess whether in-person programming for students on campus is feasible.
Friday, August 27, 2021
1 - 5 p.m. ET
Incoming School of General Studies students are invited to attend a half-day orientation aimed at introducing international students to the resources and support available at Columbia. At this program you will learn how to create a meaningful and balanced lifestyle as you navigate Columbia.
Friday, September 3, 2021
9 a.m. - 2:15 p.m. ET
Incoming School of General Studies student veterans are invited to attend a half-day orientation designed to introduce military veteran and NROTC students to the resources available to them in support of their transitions from the armed forces to student life at Columbia.
Friday, August 27, 2021
9 a.m. - 1 p.m. ET
Incoming students are invited to attend an orientation aimed at introducing students in the Dual BA Program between Columbia University and Sciences Po, the Joint Bachelor’s Degree Program between City University of Hong Kong and Columbia University, and the Dual BA Program between Trinity College Dublin and Columbia University to the resources and support available at Columbia.
Monday, August 30, 2021
Orientation Accessibility Statement
The School of General Studies is committed to providing a New Student Orientation experience that is accessible for all. If you have any questions, or would like to request accommodations for our program, please e-mail email@example.com. We also strongly recommend that you register with the Office of Disability Services at firstname.lastname@example.org, as they will be able to assist with comprehensive accommodations for GS Orientation and for your full Columbia experience.