GS Student Lounge
GS Student Lounge
The General Studies Lounge, on the 3rd floor of Lewisohn Hall, serves as a gathering place for students and is the venue for many GS events. The GS Lounge contains computer terminals with printers and provides GS students with a space to study as well as socialize. Many GS Student Life and GSSC events are held in the GS Lounge.
The Lounge is a welcoming place for GS students to work and relax any time of the day while at the School of General Studies. For any comments or questions about the GS Lounge, please contact email@example.com.
- Computer stations with printing capabilities.
- Printing services from your personal laptop with the NINJa Printing System.
- Long tables for solo and group studying.
- Comfortable large chairs for lounging and socializing.
- Hole punch and staplers courtesy of GS Student Life.
- LCD Information Screen, to stay up to date on all GS-related events and topics.
The lounge is open to all GS students with a Columbia ID 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The GS Student Lounge can be accessed using a Columbia ID. When entering, always be mindful of who is coming in after you. For your safety and the safety of your belongings and others, remain vigilant.
Please be mindful of the GS Lounge custodial staff. The following schedule has been selected for weekly cleaning. Your patience during these times is greatly appreciated:
- Sunday through Thursday – anytime between 10 p.m. – 6 a.m.
- Friday – Trash pickup anytime between 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
On occasion, the lounge will be closed for maintenance and private events. Closing dates are always announced in advance via the Lounge LCD screen and the screens located in the Lewisohn Hall lobby. Closings are also announced via the GS newsletter and the GS News and Announcements section of the GS website.
All GS students must follow the policies below for usage of the GS Lounge:
Items & Space:
- No items are to be left or stored in the GS Lounge. Any unattended items will be brought to Public Safety.
- Please clean up after yourself. Please use appropriate garbage disposals and recycle when needed.
- The AC and heating units in the GS Lounge are operated by a remote control. Please see the staff in the GS Student Life Office (308B) for assistance.
Food and Beverage:
- Food and beverages are allowed in the GS Lounge. Please throw away your garbage when finished.
- At the end of any events in the GS Lounge the space must be cleaned, surfaces wiped down, and furniture organized.
Furniture and Office Equipment:
- No equipment or furniture may be removed from the GS Lounge. Furniture must be returned to its original configuration after use.
- For any Computer or Printer problems please contact CUIT at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the CUIT Service Desk at 212-854-1919.
Reserving the Student Lounge
To reserve the lounge you must fill out the form below:
GS Lounge Space Request Form
- Student groups and School offices may reserve the Student Lounge for events with a student focus.
- Reservations must be made at least seven business days in advance.
- Events must be open to the GS student body.
- Once the event is complete, the GS Student Lounge must be cleaned and put back in order. If the Lounge is not cleaned you will receive a cleaning charge from Facilities.
- Between the hours of 3 - 6 p.m. from Monday - Friday, event reservations are not permitted.
During midterm and finals, event reservations are not permitted.