- Become a GS Student Life Volunteer
- Join one of the 500+ student organizations on campus
- Volunteer on a committee or join the General Studies Student Council
- Become a member of a Fraternity or Sorority
- Join a student advisory board
- Become an Orientation Leader and share your experiences with incoming students
- Volunteer as a Junior Marshal to assist with the graduation ceremony at GS Class Day
- Become a GS Resident Advisor
Four School Programs
Throughout the academic year, GS Student Life collaborates with the Student Life offices at Barnard College, Columbia College, and Columbia Engineering to advise student-led traditions that build community across all four undergraduate schools at the University. These programs include:
- History and Heritage Months
- Tree Lighting Ceremony
- Glass House Rocks
- Senior Week
Student Life Volunteers
Throughout the academic year, GS Student Life and the Dean of Students Office host a variety of events for the GS community in which Student Life volunteers may be involved. These events include GS Planning Day, New Student Orientation, meet & greets, alumni events, memorials, Senior Week, and Graduation. Through their service, volunteers have the opportunity to develop relationships with new and current students and administrators, as well as to foster a welcoming community for GS students.
This position is ideal for students who want to get involved in GS but cannot commit to an intensive leadership position, as there are a variety of involvement opportunities available with varying time commitments. Volunteers are notified about involvement opportunities via email and are able to volunteer on an event-by-event basis.
- Must be a GS student
- Must be in good academic and disciplinary standing
- Must be punctual, dependable, and energetic
- Must possess school spirit and be proud to be a GS student
- Ability to work in a diverse team environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
If you have any questions regarding the GS Student Life volunteer position or about the application, please email GS Student Life.
NOTE: If you have previously served as a GS Orientation Leader, Junior Marshal, or are a member of a GS focused student organization, you are already a member of the GS Student Life Volunteers mailing list.