Resident Advisor Application
Resident Advisor Application
The Resident Advisors (RAs) are members of the GS Housing team who are primarily responsible for community development, mediation, programming, policy communication, and crisis intervention. The RAs work collaboratively with University offices including GS Housing, the GS Dean of Students Office, University Apartment Housing, Health Services, and Public Safety. RAs report directly to Sean Trulby, Director of Student Life, and work collaboratively with staff members on the GS Housing committee.
Note: Students that are able to be an RA for two consecutive years will be given priority consideration during the search process; priority consideration for the RA position during the 2018-2019 academic year will be given to returning RAs.
- The RA position is a ten-month appointment and applicants must be present from August 1, 2018 through May 31, 2019; please see the Time Commitment section for more detailed information
- The position is open to both undergraduate and Postbac Premed students in the School of General Studies
- Undergraduate students must be enrolled full time (12 or more points)
- A minimum cumulative and semester grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 is required
- Must be in good academic and disciplinary standing
Note: All eligibility requirements are required to apply and must be maintained throughout the entirety of the position.
- Assess the needs of residents on a continual basis and report information back to GS Housing
- Organize two events per month designed to create community among residents
- Hold weekly evening office hours for residents
- Compile research by actively engaging with GS residents to determine the needs of the community
Mediation and Support
- Mediate conflicts between roommates and apartment-mates when necessary and appropriate
- Provide peer support for residents
- Promote a healthy study environment and positive living space for residents
- Coordinate with GS Housing staff members to make appropriate referrals
- Uphold the established standards of confidentiality
- Provide referrals to campus resources for residents as needed (i.e., Counseling and Psychological Services, Office of Disability Services, Public Safety, etc.)
Information, Communication, and Resource Referral
- Immediately address all incidents that threaten the health, safety, and security of the community and contact the appropriate person to inform of the situation
- Respond to emails that pertain to the RA position and GS Housing within 24 hours
Administrative Responsibilities and Duties
- Maintain the on-call cell phone to discuss issues and concerns with residents during set hours
- Attend weekly meetings with supervisor and other meetings as needed
- Document all issues and concerns with residents in a timely manner
- Be familiar with and communicate all GS Housing policies in a positive manner
- Refer disciplinary matters to the appropriate supervisor in a timely manner
- Attend summer training for the RA position
- Problem-solve with GS Housing staff
- Must place responsibilities of the RA position ahead of any part-time jobs and extracurricular activities
- Must maintain confidentiality, as RAs work with residents in crisis and in sensitive situations
- Resident Advisors live in an assigned location as determined by GS Housing
- Must be present and available to work for the entirety of the ten-month commitment (Aug. 1, 2018 - May 31, 2019)
- Must be available to serve as Orientation Leaders during Fall 2018 Orientation (Thurs., Aug. 23 - Mon., Sept. 3, 2018) and Spring 2019 Orientation (Thurs., Jan. 10 - Sun., Jan. 20, 2019)
- RAs will have vacation time for Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Breaks
- RAs must attend all trainings and weekly meetings, be able to commit for the entirety of the position, and be available during scheduled evening duty hours
RAs receive full rent within one of the GS Housing residences in single occupancy housing (unfortunately couples and family housing cannot be accommodated for the RA position). RAs will be assigned to a unit by GS Housing. The unit type will be a shared suite setting with other GS residents—the RA will have their own bedroom but will have shared bathroom, kitchen, and common areas.
Important Dates for 2018-2019 RA Position
|Application Launch||Late April 2018|
Application Due Date
||Late May 2018|
||Early June 2018|
Position Start Date
||Aug. 1., 2018|
|Resident Advisor Training||Early August 2018|
Position End Date
||May 31, 2019|
The application form, along with all accompanying documents and references, is due in late May 2018.
Applicants must submit a resume, and are encouraged to use the resources at the Center for Career Education (CCE) for assistance. Resumes must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit the contact information for two professional references. There is a section of the application form for you to provide this information.
Note: GS Housing will contact the applicant’s GS academic advisor to confirm academic and disciplinary standing.
RA applicants are required to attend an interview with GS Housing staff members. Interviews will occur in early June 2018.