Maintenance of Status
Maintenance of Status
Students who have completed coursework in the Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program and are receiving a committee letter in support of their applications are required to be enrolled in Maintenance of Status (fee associated) for both terms of their glide/application year, unless they are enrolled in Columbia courses. Registration for Maintenance of Status for these students is done automatically and requires no action on the students' part.
Reapplicants are re-enrolled in Maintenance of Status, but do not pay the fee.
Students who are eligible for support but who, upon completion of their studies, elect to defer their application, will be enrolled in Maintenance of Status during the deferral year and again during their application year. They will be charged only for the first year of Maintenance of Status.
Students who are not required to register for Maintenance of Status, but who would like continued access to Columbia and Postbac Premed resources, must register prior to the beginning of the term in order to avoid a late registration fee. There is no refund of the Maintenance of Status fee if canceled after the end of the change of program period.
International students are advised that enrollment in Maintenance of Status will compel them to enroll in the Columbia University Student Health Insurance Plan. They may, however, petition the Student Health Insurance Office to have it waived.
Undergraduate premeds are ineligible for Maintenance of Status, even if they have graduated.
Students enrolled in Maintenance of Status will continue to enjoy the following resources:
- Access to a Postbac Premed advisor
- Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program administrative support for the medical school application process
- Continued access to the Postbac Premed newsletter, which provides announcements about clinical and research positions; notification of lectures, meetings, information sessions, and workshops related to healthcare, the medical school application and interview process, and financing medical education; and invitations to special events for Postbac Premed students
- Use of Columbia's student services such as computer, library and health services, as well as use of the Center for Career Education, and an active University email account
- Invitations to all Premedical Association (PMA) activities
- Access to Columbia discounts on such commodities as computers
Students who register for Maintenance of Status have the opportunity to purchase a Student Access Membership to Dodge Physical Fitness Center and to enroll in the University's health insurance plan at student rates, but are not automatically enrolled in either.