Undergraduates within General Studies are expected to make reasonable progress in fulfilling degree requirements, which includes:
- completing the writing requirement in the first semester at GS
- initiating foreign language study no later than the second year at GS and making steady progress toward this requirement in each subsequent semester
- completing satisfactorily at least one course each semester toward the fulfillment of core requirements
- declaring a major before completing 90 points toward the degree
- making satisfactory progress each year toward the major, once declared
- maintaining a grade-point average of at least 2.0 each semester
GS academic advisors help students plan their schedules so that these requirements are met within the expected time frame. All students must finish their final semester of study at Columbia (this includes Columbia-run study abroad programs).