Hiring: Postbac and Dual BA Ambassadors
Wed., Sept. 15
The Office of Admissions and the University Visitors Center are looking for Admissions Ambassadors/Tour Guides to represent GS, specifically the Dual BA degree programs (Sciences Po and Tel Aviv) and the Postbac Premed Program.
Traditionally, these positions offer current GS and Postbac students the opportunity to virtually meet prospective and incoming students and share their experiences and knowledge with them. Ambassadors/Tour Guides will lead prospective students and their guests on a tour of the historic Morningside campus, sharing personal insights and campus history.
This year, Ambassador and Tour Guide work will be largely virtual, focusing on corresponding with prospective students via telecounseling, email, and the ZeeMee app, as well as participating in online student panels. Guides will also be giving a limited number of tours in accordance with campus and public health guidelines. At some point in the future the position will shift to a larger percentage of more traditional tour guide work.
- Must be a GS student from the Postbac Premed, or Sciences Po or Tel Aviv Dual BA programs. (Please note at the moment we are not hiring from the general undergraduate or Trinity Dual BA programs.)
- Must love GS and Columbia University and want to talk about it with prospective and admitted students and guests.
- Must be customer-service oriented, articulate, and have good public speaking and phone skills.
- Must be conscientious, reliable, and team-oriented.
- Good memorization skills necessary.
- Interest in campus history and involvement in student life a plus.
- Must be in good academic standing.
Time Commitment and Scheduling
Training will begin at the end of September.
- Commitment for Postbac students is approximately 5-6 hours per month, minimum 1 hour per week. Commitment for Dual BA students is approximately 2-3 hours per month with potential increase in hours as the campus fully reopens.
- Academic year commitment (September 2021-June 2022); longer commitment and summer availability is welcomed.
- For Postbac students only, 1 hour per week of telecounseling in the office is expected.
A comprehensive training is required for all new guides, including:
- Meeting with Visitor Center and GS Admissions staff.
- Shadowing current tour guides on at least three tours.
- Attending at least two information sessions with prospective students.
- Giving at least one mock tour to GS Communications staff and current tour guides.
- Other training TBD.
Work-study or casual
$16 per hour
Wednesday, September 15
To apply, fill out an application and send your resume to:
Manager, Community and University Visitor Relations