MTAC (Mastery Through Academic Coaching) is a newly developed academic support initiative for CC, SEAS and GS students, that is currently being piloted for Fall 2014 for Professor Mowshowitz’s Introductory Biology Sequence. MTAC Biology coaches will be recruited to lead study groups during the Fall 2014 semester, with the possibility of continuing in Spring 2015.
Each coach will act as a facilitator for small study groups comprised of students who are currently enrolled in the biology sequence. The coaches will focus on helping students collaboratively develop and apply the critical thinking skills necessary for academic success in this course. The students will conduct the group themselves, with the coach stepping in only to clarify matters, model cognitive strategies, and keep the group on task.
The expected time commitment for this position is approximately 10 to 12 hours per week throughout the fall term. This opportunity is open to all undergraduate, postbac, and graduate students who meet the requirements below.
- Lead 2-3 study groups comprised of 6-8 students each
- Support the development and application of critical-thinking skills within the study group
- Promote and facilitate an active learning environment
- Attend a weekly, paid colloquium with other MTAC Biology coaches to develop content for the study groups
- Participate in ongoing training and professional development initiatives for all MTAC coaches
- Contribute to curriculum development and assessment for the pilot MTAC Biology program
- A grade of B+ or higher in Professor Mowshowitz’s Introductory Biology Sequence
- Ability to attend mandatory training the week of September 2nd, 2014
- Commitment to the mission and purpose of the MTAC program
- Interest in teaching and learning and/or academic support initiatives
- A positive and open attitude
- Previous TA, tutoring, or teaching experience
Part-time paid (10-12 hours per week)
September 2, 2014
Please fill out the online application by April 28, 2014 at 5 p.m.
If you have any questions please contact us at email@example.com.