The Academic Resource Center (ARC) is offering tutoring, reading and argument coaching, and walk-ins appointments during summer 2019.
Appointments can be made up to two weeks in advance through our online appointment system.
601 Lewisohn Hall
Walk-in Hours | Summer 2019
- General Chemistry I & II: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Organic Chemistry I & II: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Physics I & II: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Pre-Calculus: 1 - 3 p.m.
- Calculus I, II, & III: 1 - 3 p.m.
- Statistics w/ Calculus: 1 - 3 p.m.
Phone: (212) 854-4097
Fax: (212) 851-0750
Reading & Argument Coaching
Speaking the language of a text doesn't always guarantee you'll understand what it says. And even when you do understand what it says, that doesn't necessarily mean you know how to craft an argument in response. The ARC's reading and argument coaches are trained peer facilitators who can help students make sense of what they're looking at and come up with a plan for what to do with it—without doing the work for them, and while respecting the Columbia University Code of Honor.
Reading and argument coaches can help students:
- Learn to pre-read more effectively
- Learn to identify the different types of demands made by different types of texts (i.e., how to approach a textbook versus a literary text versus a critical article)
- Learn to efficiently manage large volumes of text
- Learn to critically approach a text about which you will be writing a paper
- Better understand what makes a good argument, and how to make a good argument
To learn more, email firstname.lastname@example.org.