Types of Aid

Several types of financial aid are available to students:

  • Scholarships and Grants: Institutional scholarships, outside scholarships, and Federal and State grants (for US Citizens) are forms of aid that do not have to be repaid.
  • Loans: Federal and private education loans are forms of aid that must be repaid.
  • Student Employment: The Federal Work-Study Program (for those eligible), the Center for Career Education, and the International Students and Scholars Office can assist students in finding part-time employment.
  • Aid for International and Military Students: Specific sources of aid are available for international students.

Types of Aid Available to International Students

International students are eligible to apply for GS institutional scholarships. In order to apply for institutional aid, all international students must complete the GS Scholarship Application. International students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents do not need to complete the FAFSA to receive institutional aid, but are required to complete the International Student Financial Aid Supplement form. International students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents must complete the FAFSA, in addition to the GS Scholarship Application, in order to receive institutional aid.

Limited private-loan options are available for international students; more information is available on the Student Financial Services website.

International students may also wish to consult the following resources:

  • Columbia University International Students and Scholars Office website
  • U.S. Dept. of Education – Information for international students attending college in the United States 
  • EduPass – Guide to financial aid for international students
  • International Scholarships – Scholarship search service for international studentsTypes of Aid