- January 15
Applying to the Joint Bachelor's Degree Program
A complete application for the Joint Bachelor’s Degree Program between City University of Hong Kong and Columbia University includes all of the following:
- Submission of the online application.
- A PDF version of the application (for reference only) may be downloaded here.
- Official* high school transcript or official secondary school records. Documents not in English must be accompanied by certified translations.
- Official* transcripts from all colleges or universities attended. Please request official CityU transcripts from the Academic Records and Regulations Office (ARRO). Documents not in English must be accompanied by certified translations.
- Official* test score
If your native or predominant spoken language is not English and the primary language of instruction in your High School or secondary education was not English you must demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting official scores from TOEFL or IELTS. The TOEFL or IELTS must be taken a maximum of two years prior to an application to the School of General Studies. To be eligible to apply for admission, the Joint Program admissions committee requires a score of 100 on the Internet-based TOEFL, or a score of 7.0 on the IELTS.
Applicants to the Joint Bachelor's Degree Program will be required to sit for an additional English-language proficiency exam before admissions decisions are released. The ALP Essay Exam is designed to measure your ability in written English; no speaking portion is included. You will be given 105 minutes to write an essay in response to a prompt that will be provided by Columbia University’s American Language Program, and more information will be sent out after your application has been submitted.
- One typed, double-spaced essay of approximately 1,000-1,500 words. See the admissions application for essay question.
- One letter of recommendation from a CityU professor. Please note that all applicants must ensure the letter of recommendation sent from the recommender directly to the school is accompanied by your completed and signed Joint Bachelor's Degree Program between City University of Hong Kong and Columbia University Recommendation form.
*Official documents are those that arrive in a sealed envelope directly from the institution or testing service.
- Interviews are scheduled only on a case-by-case basis by the admissions committee; it is not possible for applicants to arrange an interview without the request of the committee.
- Interviews typically take place in February and are held on the CityU campus in Hong Kong.