Send application materials to:
Office of Admissions and Financial Aid
School of General Studies
408 Lewisohn Hall, Mail Code 4101
New York, NY 10027
A completed application includes:
- Application for Admission
- Autobiographical essay of 1,500-2,000 words
- Two letters of recommendation
- $80 USD application fee made payable to Columbia University
- Photograph (recommended, but not required)
- New Student Scholarship Application—Prospective students should apply for scholarship and financial aid when they apply for admission. Applying for scholarships and financial aid does not, in any way, affect our admission decision. The New Student Scholarship Application must be submitted online.
Applicants must arrange to have the following required documents sent:
- Official* high school transcripts, secondary school records, or GED/TASC test results. Applicants with a GED or TASC and two or more years of high school must submit their high school transcripts.
- Official* transcripts from all colleges or universities attended, or currently attending
- Official* test scores from the SAT Reasoning Test (SAT) or American College Testing Program (ACT) taken within eight years of applying. The ETS code number for the School of General Studies of Columbia University is 2095. The ACT code number for General Studies is 2716. Students who have no test scores or whose results are older than eight years may take the General Studies Admissions Examination (GSAE) at a cost of $50.
- If your native or predominant spoken language is not English and the primary language of instruction in your high school or secondary education was not English, you must demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting official scores from TOEFL or IELTS. TOEFL must be taken within two years of applying.
*Official transcripts and test scores are those that arrive in a sealed envelope directly from the school or testing service.
Please note: Documents not in English must be accompanied by a certified translation.
Please see Important Dates for application deadlines.